Tuesday, October 22, 2013

What do we attach our value to?

The other night before I went to bed, I snuck in and checked on my son, Gabe.  He was nestled in his bed, peacefully sleeping the night away.  Like other moments when I have seen my kids sleeping, a great sense of delight bubbled up from within me.  I stood there watching Gabe, soaking in the value of this little person in my life, and in those moments it was as if God silently conveyed the message that my eyes to see Gabe's value is like the view that God has of my own value.  Gabe, and me, are valuable, loved, and not alone.  This is not something we earn, it is given to us.

This struck me.  God used this moment to cut below the surface of ideas I mentally agree with about His love and presence given to me.  My thoughts followed a sequence like..."I am valuable when I am asleep.  God does not get bored with me and leave when I go to sleep.  My value does not change when I sleep and stop 'doing.'  Wow!"

From this experience and others, I am finding that I deeply hold to an idea that my value is connected to what I produce, if I succeed, or what others think of me.  These are the gods that I look to for indications of my value, or my worthiness of love.  Yet, God has already declared me valuable, and is already faithful and committed to actions for my good.  May God continue to strengthen me, and you, so that we can learn to receive and rest in the love, value, and presence that He gives to us!

What roles, responsibilities, or people do you look to for an indication of your value?  When might you talk to God or another about this?

1 comment:

Anne Cisz said...

Wonderful post (as always!)! Thanks for sharing! :) GOD BLESS! :)